Monday, November 23, 2009

The Lunar Module

Hey everyone,

For man to land on the moon, they would need a vehicle capable of landing on the surface and taking off again. However, at first, there was some discussion on what to send to the moon. Some suggested taking a large craft to the moon weighing a significant amount more than the final product would. This was a direct ascent approach or an Earth rendezvous approach. However, both of these methods would require landing the entire spacecraft on the moon. By using a lunar orbit rendezvous, only a small craft would land on the moon while another stay in orbit. Once finished on the surface, the two would reconnect in lunar orbit. After this plan was accepted, the Lunar Excursion Module (LEM) would be constructed mainly by the Grumann Aircraft Engineering with Tom Kelly as the chief designer. During this process, weight was a constant concern. To save weight, windows were made small, seats were even removed and replaced by velco so the astronauts could stand and see out the windows, and even shielding was removed and replaced by a thin sheet. However, the LEM would never fail and prove all the critics wrong. The final change before it would see space was from the Lunar Excursion Module to the Lunar Module, but it was still known as the LEM.

P.S. I'm not seeing a return from some of my clicks. If anyone is clicking to help me out, I would like you to stop. My adsense account can be revoked and all the money I've earned can be lost. If it is genuine, let me know so I can report a problem. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment